Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bad buttercream day


Most bakers would know what I mean. This one went especially wrong for me. First I used I used the wrong size baking pan. When making the orange buttercream I knew something was not right; it was too 'runny'. No amount of added icing sugar helped. I blamed the humid weather. Then I trimmed the sides because I wanted more space to decorate. That was a BIG mistake! I couldn't crumb coat properly as the frosting was pulling away cake.

Kids like their cake colourful but I did not dare mess with the buttercream anymore. I read that a sign of a good baker is knowing how to make the best of a bad situation and this was all I could do under the circumstance and the short notice. At least I know for sure it tasted good as I had the cut sides for tea! Happy 3rd birthday Priyanka Saira. Hope you and all at home enjoyed the Chocolate Orange cake.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Despite your bad buttercream day, your cake still looks amazing.
I have just discovered your site and you are my new hero!!!! Your cakes are amazing and I have a weakness for cupcakes and yours are just so adorable.
Great blog!

Ivy said...

Thanks jenjen. I'm far from anyone's hero yet... but I sure could do with all the encouragement!